Associate of Applied Science - AAS
The Health Information Management Program is a two-year associate of applied science degree designed to prepare individuals for:
- Managing and coding the medical information obtained in the medical records
- Organizing the coded information for reimbursement purposes
- Abstracting other data to meet administrative and governmental requirements
- Managing medical and legal inquiries for medical information
- Calculating healthcare statistics
- Performing data analytics
- Managing the HIM department operational and human resource functions
Graduates of this program will be prepared for a variety of positions in the health information services market. It is designed to offer a wide variety of learning experiences including classroom and online instruction, use of computers and software designed for health information management, and directed practice clinicals in various medical settings.
This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Graduates are eligible to sit for the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) credential.
This major is specifically designed for students who plan to enter the workforce after graduation. Students who plan to pursue a higher degree should plan to meet with the HIM Program Director or faculty member.
The program is an excellent career choice for individuals who want to work in the healthcare profession, but do not want to work directly with patients. Applicants need to have an aptitude for science, have an interest in law and management subjects, and be comfortable working on a computer. Typical work settings include healthcare providers in hospitals, clinics, physician's offices, nursing homes and other healthcare agencies.