Effective June, 2015 the state of Tennessee was approved by the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) to join the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).
SARA is an initiative of states nationwide to make distance education courses more accessible to students across state lines. States that have joined SARA are shown on the map below and appear in dark blue.
SARA States & Institutions
Note: SARA states are highlighted in blue.
The following TN eCampus partner institutions are approved within the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) to offer distance education programs and courses to students who reside in states that have joined the agreement. Please note - professional licensure board approval for programs leading to state licensing are NOT covered under SARA.
- Austin Peay State University
- Chattanooga State Community College
- Cleveland State Community College
- Columbia State Community College
- Dyersburg State Community College
- East Tennessee State University
- Middle Tennessee State University
- Motlow State Community College
- Nashville State Community College
- Northeast State Community College
- Pellissippi State Community College
- Roane State Community College
- Tennessee State University
- Tennessee Technological University
- University of Memphis
- Volunteer State Community College
- Walters State Community College
SARA and Licensed Professions (Nursing, Teaching, Psychology, etc.)
Professional licensure requirements are NOT covered under SARA. Most requirements fall under the jurisdiction of the professional licensing boards of the state in which the student plans to become a practitioner. TN eCampus partner institutions which offer courses and programs leading to professional licensure will provide student(s) with up-to-date information on state licensing requirements, however, all students pursing licensure programs will need to contact the licensing board in their state or practicing state to determine if the program meets licensure requirements.
What are your benefits as a student?
- Expands access to educational offerings
- Should lead to better resolution of complaints from students in SARA states
- Reduces rapidly growing institutional costs and makes distance education more affordable for students
- Should enhance overall quality of distance education
Questions regarding SARA can be directed to: Jillette Battle - firstname.lastname@example.org
News and updates regarding SARA can be found here.