Associate of Applied Science - AAS
Available Beginning Spring 2017!
This degree is designed to address the educational needs of Tennesseans who desire to enter or advance their career within the field of fire science. The program offers both flexibility for those with prior experience and training while providing a clear path for those who are new to the field of study. It was designed to incorporate the Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education (FESHE) core courses and therefore, meets current, accepted standards of practice within the field of study.
- Demonstrate professionalism, ethics, and the ability to interact with others during academic studies and identify how the skills may be transferred to fire science occupations.
- Apply foundational fire science knowledge to “real world” scenarios and describe how the knowledge and skills can be applied to fire science related occupations.
- Identify “real world” scenarios in preparation for advancement in fire science related occupations through the application of prevention, response, and risk management knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrate professional communication skills in the academic setting and identify how the skills can be transferred to fire science occupations.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply problem-solving techniques or methods in a variety of settings to make informed decisions.
Vol State and Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) have developed an AAS-to-BS program to allow students who earn an AAS in Fire Science to transfer the majority of those credits to MTSU toward the completion of a Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies with a concentration in Organizational Leadership.
The AAS degree is a career ladder for persons who have successfully completed the Technical Certificate in Fire Science Technology.